SIPs in City of Los Angeles
Last Post 04 Jun 2010 07:07 PM by k_radanovich. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
01 May 2010 09:04 AM
Has anyone here actually built a SIP home in the City of Los Angeles?  The building codes are silly stringent here, and I have read some web posts about it not being allowed here.

Thanks

Jack
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 May 2010 10:45 AM
Call  the city building official and find out first hand
Chris Kavala<br>[email protected]<br>1-877-321-SIPS<br />
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 May 2010 05:39 PM
I remember reading about a SIP or ICF house that was being erected in NYC... about five or six years ago. It was apparently the first ever there, and they had to dance through a lot of hoops, but they did finally get approval.

--
01 May 2010 11:44 PM
Posted By cmkavala on 01 May 2010 10:45 AM
Call  the city building official and find out first hand

I realize I can call the city building and safety, thanks for the guidance! 

I figured if there havent been many in the city, which I presume there hasn't been since I can't find anything on the net about it or any contractors in the area who are touting it, I would probably talk to someone who was clueless.  Therefore, if I could find someone, possibly on this forum, who has done it I would be in a much better position when I do call building and safety. 

Have you ever tried to call LA Building and Safety?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 May 2010 07:05 AM
Superduty;

Never been to LA, but I imagine it is similar to Miami ...........

If LA has adopted the IRC and IBC they have provisions for alternative building methods and the requirement is that the method  be ICC approved, most SIPs have that accreditation.

I stay away from Miami-Dade because its too complicated to do business and I don't like getting shaken down by the inspectors for money
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 May 2010 01:04 PM
Chris, LA is probably more like Miami-Dade with a serious case of roid-rage, following an all night, cocaine fueled bender, trying to decipher thirty thousand pages written as quatrains more cryptic than anything from Nostradamus. Did I mention how sincere my disdain is for those in the county inspector's office??
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 May 2010 01:14 PM
You better brush up on your spanish when going to the Miami-Dade Building dept.

--
09 May 2010 03:11 PM
Premier Building Systems (www.pbssips.com  800-240-6691) has an LARR (#25405) that approves their SIPs for use as shear walls and also in diaphragm capacites within the City of LA. A copy of the report is available on the LADBS website and/or from Premier.

--
12 May 2010 11:10 AM
Jack

Call
Kevin Radonovich from Green wall

He is the LA distributor for PBS sips, we built a house in Eagle Rock last year.

--
15 May 2010 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the guidance.

--
04 Jun 2010 07:07 PM
Hi SuperDuty, if you need any help, guidance around SIPs and City of LA just email or call me or go to my website and download whatever docs. you need. Premier is the only Panel co. that has their LARR (Los Angeles Research Report) It is an independant testing regime that you must go through if you want to build in the city. Premier is the only Co. that has kept theirs current. City Officials are well aware of SIPs and because of the new greenbuilding ordinance have a commitment to facilitate in any way they can.

Regards
Kevin Radanovich
Green Walls-US, Inc.
www.greenwall.us
[email protected]
(818) 421-2044
President/CEO<br>Green Walls-US, INc.<br>SIPs, ICF's & Antique Timber Frame
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Membership Membership: Latest New User Latest: JD646 New Today New Today: 0 New Yesterday New Yesterday: 3 User Count Overall: 34759
People Online People Online: Visitors Visitors: 163 Members Members: 0 Total Total: 163
Copyright 2011 by BuildCentral, Inc.   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement